A hassle-free lunch-box option, lemon rice is a favourite with young and old alike in southern india! lemon adds the tanginess, while the tempering imparts the aroma to this simple rice delicacy.
Lemon Rice ( South Indian Recipes ) recipe
Preparation Time: 15 mins, Cooking Time: 5 mins,
Total Time: 20 mins, Makes 4 servings.
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 2 whole dry kashmiri red chillies , broken into pieces
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, chana dal, and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and rice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.